Saturday, December 1, 2012

One of the Hardest Things You'll do: Parenting

This week as homework we had to watch four different sessions of parenting videos. Even though I am not a parent and will not be for several years, I found these videos interesting and helpful.A couple of times I found myself telling myself to remember something they taught. Parenting is not easy. Everyone knows that and everyone has made that clear. But it doesn't have to be a miserable power struggle all the time. These parenting videos were about how to deal with teens. I have to be  honest when I say that I am not looking forward to parenting teens. But these videos taught how to deal with rebellious teens and other struggling teens. One thing the videos taught that I liked was to give the teenagers choices. When it is chore day, instead of telling them what chores they will have to suffer through, show them a list and ask which ones they want to do. We need to show respect to our teenagers. Otherwise, why would they show respect to us? I would recommend  to parents who are having having a hard time parenting their children to watch these videos. They are called Michael Popkin's "Active Parenting."

No comments:

Post a Comment